PL seminar

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:45:48 -0600 (CST)
From: "Thomas Reps" <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: PL seminar
I am trying to revive the PL seminar for the Spring 2003
semester, and will give a talk this Thursday at 4:00 PM
(room to be announced).

FYI, we will normally meet in 1325 this semester,
although not this week.  Some weeks it will be necessary
to cancel the seminar because of talks by faculty candidates.

Anyone who wishes to give a talk in the PL seminar
should either contact me or Susan Horwitz
(preferably both, with cc to the other).

Tom

Symbolic Implementation of the Best Transformer
Speaker:Thomas Reps, University of Wisconsin

This talk describes how to create, under certain conditions,
abstract-interpretation algorithms that enjoy the best possible
precision for a given abstraction. The key idea is a simple process of
successive approximation that makes repeated calls to a theorem prover,
and obtains the best abstract value for a set of concrete stores that
are represented symbolically, using a logical formula.

Joint work with Mooly Sagiv and Greta Yorsh.