["Chen, Dong-Yuan" <dong-yuan.chen@intel.com>] Hello

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:22:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Glenn Ammons <ammons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ["Chen, Dong-Yuan" <dong-yuan.chen@intel.com>] Hello
From: "Chen, Dong-Yuan" <dong-yuan.chen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'ammons@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <ammons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Chen, Dong-Yuan" <dong-yuan.chen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Hello
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:04:20 -0800

Hello, Glenn,

I work with the High Performance Platform Lab in the Microprocessor
Research Lab of Intel at Santa Clara, CA.  We are working on advancing
architecture and compiler technologies for high performance platform
(e.g. the iA64 architecture).  We got your name from a colleague who
mentioned that you have done some interesting work in compiler related
area.

We currently have several permanent and intern positions open and are
looking for talented people to join our team.  Attached below is a
brief description of the missions of our Lab. I am wondering whether
you will be interested in some industrial research position in the
future. I am also hoping to know more about your research interests
and your progress toward your study.  I would be happy to talk to you
if you would like to know more about our Lab.

Looking forward to hearing from you.  Please feel free to forward this
message to anyone who may be interested.  Thanks.

Dong-Yuan Chen
Intel Corp.                  Phone: (408) 765-7984
M/S SC12-305                 Fax:   (408) 765-5165
2200 Mission College Blvd.   Email: Dong-Yuan.Chen@xxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8119

The High Performance Platform Lab has the following missions:
  - Identify, and develop solutions for, barriers to increasing computing
    platform performance in the context of emerging workloads.
  - Identify trends in the usage and delivery of computation and explore new
    paradigms of computation.
  - Advance the infrastructure for characterizing and visualizing platform
   behavior.

To achieve this we pursue research in the following areas:
  - Processor and platform architecture and micro-architecture
  - ILP, multi-threading, and dynamic compilers
  - New paradigms of computation and operating systems
  - Performance analysis tools

In addition to internal projects, the lab builds relationships with academia
and start-ups working in these areas. Some examples of the kinds of projects
we are, or will be, pursuing:

* Develop processor, platform, compiler, and OS techniques to improve the
  performance of emerging workloads. At a minimum this will include
  multi-threading, object-orientation, dynamically adapting software,
  distributed computing environments, and digital content creation.

* Explore the solution space of simultaneous execution of multiple
  processes/threads on a single die and understand the ramifications on
  processor, platform, compiler, and OS.

* Investigate alternative uses and paradigms of computation such as dynamic
  evolution, computing in the context of very high speed networks,
programming
  language extensions, alternative OS architectures, and alternative
  platform architectures.

* Develop techniques to address the ramifications of very wide and heavily
  pipelined machines on the latencies of large multi-ported register files,
  result bypassing between execution units, memory accesses, and branches.

* Characterize the behavior of branches and memory accesses under various
  prediction and caching conditions. Identify the source code constructs or
  compiler optimizations originating offensive branches and memory accesses
  and develop techniques to increase the predictability and/or tolerance of
  branch and memory latency.

* Explore alternatives for I/O and memory subsystems in the context of
  various distributed computing paradigms, high speed networks, and
commercial
  workloads.