Reminder: Practice Interview Talk today

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:06:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Trishul Chilimbi <chilimbi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reminder: Practice Interview Talk today
 	I will be giving this talk on today in room 1325
 at 4pm. This is joint work with my advisor Prof. James Larus and
 co-advisor Prof. Mark Hill. In addition, this is a practice
 interview talk so please be at your hostile best.

 	Thanks,
 	-Trishul Chilimbi

 	Cache-Conscious Data Organization and Layout
 Abstract
      In this talk I will show that cache-conscious pointer structure
 layout can improve the performance of real programs by up to 30--40%.
 I will outline a wide variety of techniques for laying out pointer
 structures in languages such as C, C++, and Java. These include
 completely automatic techniques that require no programmer assistance
 or source code modification.
      I will discuss one such technique--cache-conscious reorganization
 using copying garbage collection that co-locates objects with high
 temporal affinity in the same cache block--in detail. Measurements show
 that this technique reduces cache miss rates by 21--42%, and improves
 program performance by 14--37% over a conventional copying algorithm
 (Cheney). In addition it outperforms an algorithm (Wilson-Lam-Moher)
 designed to improve locality at the page level by 18--31%, indicating
 that improving locality at the page level is not necessarily beneficial
 at the cache level.
 	Finally, for structures comparable in size to a cache block,
 structure splitting can increase the number of hot fields that can be
 placed in a cache block. In five Java programs, structure splitting
 reduced cache miss rates 10--27% and improved performance 6--18%
 beyond the benefits of cache-conscious reorganization.