[os-reading] OS-reading group meeting this semester

Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:11:52 -0500
From: Venkatanathan Varadarajan <venkatv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [os-reading] OS-reading group meeting this semester
Hi,

Are you interested in systems research? Would you enjoy
discussing the latest research with other grad students?

Consider joining the operating systems reading group.

The group meets for one hour every week. We discuss papers from conferences
such as SOSP <http://sosp.org/>, OSDI <https://www.usenix.org/conferences/byname/179>, ASPLOS <http://www.sigplan.org/Conferences/ASPLOS/Main>, EuroSys <http://www.eurosys.org/>, FAST and also short papers from
USENIX's Hot* workshops.

Many of the papers we discuss are at the boundary between systems and other
domains such as architecture, networking and security. We also combine reading group sessions when a paper touches significant portions of different areas,
like architecture, Security, PL, etc.

Why should you join?

* *Keep with the latest research.* This will often include papers
outside your own specialization (ex: security kernels, new
architectures) and expose you to great ideas from different areas.
* *Practice reading and discussing papers.* This is a vital skill to
develop as a researcher. You will be able to learn this skill quickly
from observing other graduate students discuss the paper and
see what they look for.
* Bring new papers to the table and *lead discussions*
* *Get to know other's current research.* Interact with other students
interested in (broadly) the same area. You learn a lot from informal discussions with other students. Get to know what different grad students are working on.

If you are interested in participating this semester
1) Join the reading group mailing list:
2) Indicate when you are available to meet this semester (1 hour per week):
http://whenisgood.net/j2gj2im

And, I apologies for multiple copies of this mail that you may have received.

Thanks,
Venkat

--
Venkatanathan Varadarajan (Venkat),