Re: [HTCondor-users] Error with import htcondor

On 5/29/2024 6:03 PM, Guy Markey wrote:
Hi,
I've just installed condor 23.7.2 on my windows 11 machine running python 3.12.3 and get the following error when trying to run a python script.

From your previous user emails it appears that your code was probably compiled on a previous, incompatible, version of python? Can you tell me what version of python is the latest for that version of HTCondor please, or correct me if I'm wrong? I don't remember having this issue before on my previous installs, but then again my memory is not that good :)

Thanks,
Guy

Hi Guy,

For HTCondor 23 on Windows 10/11, you will want to use Python 3.9.x.  (I happen to use 3.9.13 on my Windows 10 laptop with success)

Currently, the HTCondor Python bindings are very sensitive to the version of Python it is compiled against.

We know this sensitivity is a pain point.  We are working on a new implementation of the Python bindings that will, amongst other things, remove this sensitivity, and should allow the bindings to work with any version of Python greater than v3.2.  We will be talking about this more at the upcoming Throughput Computing 24 (HTC 24) workshop; expect to hear good things on this later this summer.  Yay!

regards,
Todd