From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2024 at 16:32
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Birkett, Thomas (STFC,RAL,SC) <thomas.birkett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Condor prio_factor question

On 5/8/2024 9:27 AM, Thomas Birkett - STFC UKRI via HTCondor-users wrote:

Hi Condor community,

Hopefully a simple question, I’ve been experimenting with different group prio factors, and I notice you can set group priorities such as: GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_group_ATLAS

My question is, I assume you can override these values with the condor_userprio command, and if so, is there a way to “reset” the accountant’s logic back to what’s defined in config files if they’ve been modified? Which config item would take priority, one defined with condor_userprio –set or the one in the config file i.e. GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_group_ATLAS

Hi Thomas,

Quick answers to your questions:

Yes, you can override GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_xxxx via the "condor_userprio -setfactor ..." command.

The priority factor set with condor_userprio will have precedence over the setting from the config file.

As for a way to "reset" back to what is defined in the config file after changing it via condor_userprio, all I can think of is to do one of the following :

   a) Remove the user from the accountant with "condor_userprio -delete"; the account will re-create the user's record with the priority factor from the config file.   Deleting the user will also remove all their usage information, prio, floor, ceiling, etc.  I suppose you could have a script that reads out these values, deletes the user, then resets the values via -setprio, -setfloor, -setaccum etc.

OR

  b) Explicitly reset  via something like condor_userprio -setfactor `condor_config_val GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR....`

OR

  c) If the accountant sees a priority factor of 0.0 for a user, it will "reset" it via the values in the config file.  Both the condor_userprio tools and the Python API will not allow you to set a priority factor below 1.0, however.  So you could shutdown the negotiator with condor_off, edit file $(SPOOL)/Accountantnew.log, change the last line that sets the priority factor for the user you wish to reset, restart the negotiator with condor_on.    Yes, this is crazy.

The above reset options are not good;  we could add a "-resetfactor" flag to condor_userprio if this becomes an important scenario.  So far nobody has ever asked.....

Hope the above helps,
regards,
Todd