Re: [HTCondor-users] ULOG_RD_ERROR while parsing log with JobEventLog

may I assume that this will go away in HTCondor 24?

This specific problem will be resolved in our next release; see below.

I.e. no matter what some application puts in a classAd (newlines are accepted there) the user log will and the JEL objects will have an agreement on how to deal with them ?

Sadly, no. This bug raises some deep and subtle issues about how we handle strings in ClassAds, ClassAd objects, and the corresponding conversions between the serialized forms (there are several) and the in-memory representation, and vice-versa. That's on one side of the problem (why is the event syntactically invalid?); the other side of the problem (dealing with that more gracefully), is also really hard: for example, if we have to deal with arbitrary newlines, we'll have cascading failures if someone sticks '\n...\n' in the ClassAd anywhere.

Anyhow if you can point to the issue on your side

https://opensciencegrid.atlassian.net/browse/HTCONDOR-2305

since the newlines here came from glideInWMS and I can't say if they are willing to change or not, in case.

The patch for the above issue eliminates the newlines at the source. (This particular source, anyway.) That's not a perfect fix, but given this is literally the only case we've ever heard of this being a problem, hopefully nobody actually needs the perfect fix.

-- ToddM