[HTCondor-users] Compute topology(?) questions and resource matching

Afternoon All,

As vendors of x86 chips (arm?) continue to expand the core count on a single socket by using chiplets, I am curious if it is possible in job submit to request all the cores be on the same chiplet? For multi-core (single chip) workloads that need thread communication, performance would be better if they need not go over intra-die fabric.

On the complete other end of the size scale, I am curious how HTCondor's parallel universe handles jobs that need more machines that can fit on a single switch via https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/lts/admin-manual/setting-up-special-environments.html#grouping-dedicated-nodes-into-parallel-scheduling-groups. Is there some way to define "nearest neighbors" that folks who have run a dedicated scheduler have used in the past?

Cheers,
Matt

P.S. - sorry for getting all the HPC blah-blah on the HTC list.

--
Matthew T. West
DevOps & HPC SysAdmin