Re: [HTCondor-users] K8s usage in the HTCondor community

On 11/6/23 01:59, Jeff Templon wrote:
My colleague Oxana Smirnova once said during a talk, âScheduling is only interesting when the system is fullâ - a brilliant one liner.

This is a key insight and very well put.  I would add that a lot of the k8s design space has been about replicating or replacing public, commercial cloud APIs.  The conceit of the public cloud is that it is never full.  However, when you deploy k8s on-prem, frequently, that assumption of infinite scalability suddenly does not hold.  So, I suspect there is a need for scheduling for on-prem k8s, but there isn't a good existing cloud model to follow.

-greg