Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor-CE 6.0.0 Released

On 2/25/2023 8:43 AM, Petr Vokac wrote:
Hi,

did I missed in your HTCondor-CE 6 documentation [1] important "detail" that you dropped support for GSI? I think it would be useful to add in documentation & release notes something like:

- dropped support for experiments that still relay on job submission with X.509 VOMS certificates
- support for EGI CheckIn tokens still not available in HTCondor-CE 6 (may come only with HTCondor-CE 7?)

Could you add in documentation similar warning that's available for OSG 3.6 [2] which warns site administrators about upgrades without talking first with experiments that use their resources.

Side note: ARC-CE doesn't have these problems with "legacy experiments" or EGI CheckIn token support. So ARC-CE will be the only supported CE implementation for these use-cases once HTCondor-CE 5 reaches it's EOL in May 2023 [3].

Hi Petr,

Hope all is well.  Thank you for the above suggestions.  Yes, we will make additions into the HTCondor-CE 6 docs/release notes as you suggested above with respect to experiments that still rely on GSI job submission.    As for support for EGI CheckIn tokens w/ HTCondor-CE 6, it should work today (at least it does in our testing) but it requires some configuration - we will also update the HTCondor-CE 6 docs to show how to configure it to accept EGI CheckIn tokens.   An upcoming release will remove the need for any additional configuration in order to accept EGI CheckIn tokens (i.e. they will be accepted by default), but for right now there is a configuration line or two required.

Do the "legacy experiments" you refer to all use EGI CheckIn tokens (or WLCG tokens, or SciTokens) at this point in time, or are there still experiments that plan to continue solely with X.509 certs for job submission instead of tokens past May of this year?  Besides tokens, HTCondor-CE can do job submission authentication and mapping via SSL client certificates (i.e. subject name) - perhaps this is enough for the legacy experiments provided that job routing can still reference VOMS attributes? If you are interested, I'd like to (off-list) setup a Zoom call on this, perhaps including Pepe at PIC and/or Max at KIT.

Thanks again,
Todd

Petr

[1] https://htcondor.com/htcondor-ce/v6/installation/htcondor-ce/