Re: [HTCondor-users] MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED exceeded, submit failed. Current total is 499999. Limit is 50000

Hello Todd,

Thanks for your reply.

Reading the documentation gives me an impression that it's related to the number of jobs in the queue not related to cluster ID. Ex: We want to ensure that the max number of jobs in queue at any point of time shouldn't exceed this value. Problem is that even with no job in queue, submission is hitting this limit.ÂÂ

MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED

This integer value limits the number of jobs permitted in aÂcondor_scheddÂdaemonâs queue. Submission of a new cluster of jobs fails, if the total number of jobs would exceed this limit. The default value for this variable is the largest positive integer value.

Other parameters like below don't put a cap on the total number of jobs in queue.Â

MAX_JOBS_PER_OWNER
MAX_JOBS_PER_SUBMISSION
MAX_JOBS_RUNNING
MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED

Thanks & Regards,
Vikrant Aggarwal

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 10:32 PM Todd L Miller via HTCondor-users <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We hit this issue multiple times: Issue disappears if we restart the condor
> service or change the MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED limit.

    You probably shouldn't be setting MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED at all. It's
a cap on the total number of clusters a schedd is willing to have dealt
with for its entire life. What are you trying to accomplish?

- ToddM