From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Marco van Zwetselaar
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 6:04 PM
To: htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [HTCondor-users] Job being queued when script echoes nothing

Dear all,

I regularly use this construct in my job files:

    queue ID, FN from ./list-todo.sh |

e.g. to skip jobs that have already been done.

However when all jobs have been done, and ./list-todo.sh echoes nothing (not even a newline), Condor still queues a job. The ID and FN are set to '', so the job usually fails, whereas IMO it shouldn't have been queued in the first place.

An obvious workaround is to add a wrapper script, but that isn't very clean: the "non-job" still gets scheduled and executed, consuming resources it won't use. Worse, if $(FN) appears in transfer_input_files, then this won't work.

I would think this is a bug, but maybe there's a knob somewhere that changes this behaviour?

Thanks,
Marco

--

KCRI

Marco van Zwetselaar

Bioinformatician

Kilimanjaro Clinical Research Institute

P.O. Box 2236 | Moshi, Kilimanjaro | Tanzania