[HTCondor-users] interpolation using the python bindings

Hi,

I am submitting jobs using the python bindings.
Some of the submit file items in the dictionary for htcondor.Submit( )
object are like these:

'foo' : '   "aaa $(Cluster) bbb"   '
'bar' : '   "$ENV(HOSTNAME)"  '

[no white spaces between single and double quotes, I just included for
readability]

but the interpolation does not seem to happen. condor_q -l shows them
unmodified:

foo = "aaa $(Cluster) bbb"
bar = "$ENV(HOSTNAME)"

what would be the correct way to get them resolved?
Is that something I must do myself before feeding them to Submit( )?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Jose