[HTCondor-users] Priority submission.

I fear that maybe I'm just being dense, but maybe you guys can help me.

We have a machine (azog) that is intended to be a priority submit node.
Submit jobs from there, and your jobs have higher priority. It used to
work. I swear it used to work. Now it doesn't appear to.

Formerly the higher priority jobs would be more likely to run and more
likely to preempt other jobs. When I noticed a lot of priority jobs
sitting idle, I began to investigate. Doing a condor_q -l of one of the
priority jobs, the Rank is 0.

Here's a snippet of what I have in my condor_config file:

RANK =  10 \
      + ((TARGET.Group =?= "PRIORITY") * 3)   \
      + ((TARGET.Group =?= "PROF") * 3)     \
      + ((TARGET.Group =?= "GRAD") * 3)     \
      + ((TARGET.Group =?= "UNDER") * 3)    \
      + ((TARGET.Machine =?= "azog.cs.utexas.edu") * 20)

That's a slightly modified version of what used to be in there. I added the 10 at the beginning to see if that impacted the rank reported by condor_q, but it still reports 0.

The config file for azog has this:

RANK_FACTOR     = 100000
RANK    = (($(RANK_FACTOR)) + $(RANK))

Which is identical to what all the other, non-priority condor nodes have. So the word should be being done in the RANK definition in my main condor_config. But it isn't.

So.. anyone have any ideas? How I can test it? Is this a rigorous enough test to prove that it isn't working, or am I completely misunderstanding how Rank works?

azog 08:33:14$ condor_q -l 53343 | grep ^Rank
Rank = 0.0

If it makes any difference, I also set NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK and NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK, initially to 0, and then to 11 and 12 respectively, in case it impacted RANK at all, so I'd know which one was impacting it. (Neither did.)

Any help or ideas would be desperately appreciated.

--
amy