Re: [HTCondor-users] Usage of singularity for interactive jobs

Am 04.08.2017 um 01:04 schrieb Oliver Freyermuth:
> You are perfectly right! With this trick in place, the interactive job starts up well!
> I am only missing the shell's "prompt" part (i.e. PS1 is somehow empty), but the shell in fact works, so maybe this is some environment issue I still have to look into.
It's not an environment issue. The problem is that if singularity is running in "contain" mode, it will not mount full /dev but only a limited part of it:
'null', 'zero', 'random', 'urandom', and 'shm'

Now sshd has a problem:
PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

Even more explicit, in the log, sshd writes:
debug1: Allocating pty.
openpty: No such file or directory
session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

The problem is: /dev/ptmx / /dev/pts/ are missing.

I am unsure what's the correct fix here. Using "bash -i" at least gives you a prompt, but:
bash -i
bash: cannot set terminal process group (2): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell
olifre@wn001:/pool/condor/dir_25041$

Without job control, things might be ugly for the users - but mounting pts / ptmx is not really possible in "contain" mode, I think.

Any ideas / suggestions on how to proceed?

Many thanks and cheers,
	Oliver

--
Oliver Freyermuth
Physikalisches Institut der UniversitÃt Bonn