Re: [HTCondor-users] upgrading central manager from condor 7.6.6 to 8.2.10

From: ade kc <kcbobo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx" <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/24/2016 03:59 PM

> Hi all,

> I recently attempted an upgrade of my central manager node from 7.6.6 to
> 8.2.10 on a centos5 machine.

> I did the hot upgrade route by just copying all the new binaries over from
> the release directory i.e. bin, include, sbin, libexec and lib folders
> respectively into the current directory of these folder, while backing up
> the old binaries. Condor automatically restarted once it noticed the new
> binaries in place.

The philosophy of the configuration file changed quite a bit between even
7.8 to 8.0, let alone 7.6 to 8.2.

Unlike before, there's hardly anything that's actually required to be present
in the config file - nearly everything is built in as a default, and so the
only thing you need to do is override whatever you want to be different from
the defaults, and this is usually a very small list of items.

And so a 7.6 config file will invariably have a lot of extraneous stuff in it.
When I shifted over to 8, I wound up reconstructing the config by taking the
8.0 default and adding only the local customization such as startd_cron and
policy expressions via the config.d, and discarding essentially everything
else that had been in the 7.6 and 7.8 config files.

Are your exec nodes upgraded, or still running 7.6 at this point?

The error indicates that the daemon that's supposed to be at port 35985
on host 192.168.122.1 may not be listening. Can you telnet to that IP:port
by hand? What does that 122.1 machine show in its condor_status -long?

        -Michael Pelletier.