Re: [HTCondor-users] jobs getting run as nobody

On 2/10/2016 1:50 PM, Francisco Pereira wrote:
Hi Marco,

Looks like indeed it is an issue with DNS and the content of the
/etc/hosts files.

Thank you (and everyone else) for helping me check all other options, as
we now know where to look : ).

cheers,
Francisco

Hi Francisco,

Glad you got it sorted out.

But just for the record... Marco below states that reverse DNS records are required for UID_DOMAIN to be honored. For security reasons, that is indeed true for the default configuration of HTCondor. But there is a knob "TRUST_UID_DOMAIN" that allows you to remove that requirement and just have HTCondor do a string compare between the UID_DOMAIN of the submit machine and the UID_DOMAIN of the execute machine to determine if the job should run as nobody or as the submitting user. Below is cut-n-pasted from the v8.4 Manual.
regards,
Todd

TRUST_UID_DOMAIN
As an added security precaution when HTCondor is about to spawn a job, it ensures that the UID_DOMAIN of a given submit machine is a substring of that machine's fully-qualified host name. However, at some sites, there may be multiple UID spaces that do not clearly correspond to Internet domain names. In these cases, administrators may wish to use names to describe the UID domains which are not substrings of the host names of the machines. For this to work, HTCondor must not do this regular security check. If the TRUST_UID_DOMAIN setting is defined to True, HTCondor will not perform this test, and will trust whatever UID_DOMAIN is presented by the submit machine when trying to spawn a job, instead of making sure the submit machine's host name matches the UID_DOMAIN. When not defined, the default is False, since it is more secure to perform this test.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Marco Mambelli <marcom@xxxxxxxx