Re: [HTCondor-users] why does htcondor change sysctl params, and why is this done outside of /etc/sysctl.{d, conf} ?

> On Aug 5, 2016, at 11:34 AM, Todd L Miller <tlmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> 	As for why we're doing it in a script and not in /etc/sysctl.*, I can think of three reasons off the top of my head:
>
> (a) Not all of our supported systems do /etc/sysctl.*.
> (b) Changes there don't take effect immediately.  (Maybe a post-install
>    script in the packaging could make the changes happen?)
> (c) Installs from tarballs shouldn't scale any worse than installations
>    from the distribution's packaging system.

Hi,

Indeed - but then again, not all of our supported systems use RPMs, yet we seem to ship RPMsâ

Last time the subject came up, it did seem that the majority of Linux platforms use /etc/sysctl.d (including RHEL6, although support was a bit strange as it appears to have come mid-series).

Itâs good that thereâs no penalty for running the tarballs, but itâs even better to adhere to the adage âdonât surprise the sysadminâ.

Brian