[HTCondor-users] Dynamic slot/machine job filling behavior

Our high-core-count machines are running Dynamic cpu allocation. But, in the instance that no 8-core jobs are hanging around to run, our priorities swap to allow single core jobs to run. And, here is the rub. First machine A is filled to a great extent, then B, then C, where what I would really like done is to pass the first job to A, the next to B, the next to C, and so on. But, I cannot find a way to do that? In the past I could just use SlotId to set up the Rank expression, but that is always 1 in the context of the negotiator, so they seem to allocate away happily until they are full, or nearly so, then move on to the next, and so on. This is a really bad way to start a bunch of jobs at once.

What I'm really looking for is a reversal of the negotiator logic revision described here:
https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=3435

Has anyone encountered this issue? I understand FNAL is now understanding that this could be an issue. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks much,
Bob Ball