Re: [HTCondor-users] Condor User

Mike Ferraco wrote:
> How do I set up the HTCondor installation for that user
> if I am unable to login?  Should I be installing it using a different
> user on that machine?

It's a security measure. Common practice on UNIX and Unixalikes is to
reserve UIDs and GIDs for specific daemons. It makes it more difficult
for a compromised daemon to compromise other daemons since they have
different UIDs and different address spaces. The condor user is one such
reservation.

You perform the installation with your own login using sudo or the local
root login.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science