Re: [HTCondor-users] CUP frequency set

On 09/11/2013 05:58 AM, Batsayan Das wrote:
Hello,

What is the difference between

SLOT_TYPE_1 = cpus=4

and

SLOT_TYPE_1 = cpu =1

I guess that for a molothic program, the turnaround time ie completion time of a program will be same for the above two definitions. Request for confirmation.

The number of cpus which condor allocates to a slot may limit the number of physical cpus the job is allowed to use, if using cgroups or cpu affinity, but won't make a job go faster, unless it actually spawns multiple processes or threads.

Does condor have any setting so that I can augment CPU frequency?  I have created some virtual machines  using openstack  which requires some slow and some fast machines running condor. I am not sure if this a condor/openstack/OS related issue.

The HTCondor startd can advertise the relative speed of a machine with the kflops and mips attributes, generated from running benchmarks at startup, but HTCondor doesn't have the ability to throttle back the CPU frequency.

-greg