Re: [HTCondor-users] $RETRY variable in job definition?

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Brian Bockelman wrote:

Seems that this would be easier (or at least better described in the manual)...

I'd like to have my output files saved for each retry of a dagman node. Currently, they are named:

out.1234

I'd like to make these unique per job attempt; i.e.,

out.1234.0
out.1234.1

etc.

Is there any way to do this? If so, is there any way I could have figured this out from the manual?

Well, the easiest way would be to have a POST script something like this:

Script Post <node name> rename_out $RETRY

rename_out:
  #!/bin/sh
  mv out.1234 out.1234.$1

I guess there's no reason we couldn't make a $(RETRY) that can be used in a VARS specification, but that's not currently implemented.

Kent Wenger
CHTC Team