Re: [HTCondor-users] Single quotes in DAG 'VARS'

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Brian Candler wrote:

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/current/2_10DAGMan_Applications.html#SECTION003107200000000000000
says: "Unfortunately, it is not possible to have single quote marks within
these values."

Can someone explain why this restriction is in place?

It's a result of the DAGMan code for parsing the DAG file. I looked into this quite a while ago, and, unfortunately, fixing the problem would mean a pretty major re-write of the DAG parsing code. There's no reason it *can't* be done, it's just that, at that time at least, other things were a higher priority. (It's certainly not a restriction that we *want*; I think that case just wasn't considered when the parsing code was written.)

If there are other people on the mailing list who need this feature, please let us know -- maybe this deserves to get bumped up to a higher priority...

Kent Wenger
CHTC Team