Re: [Condor-users] Virtual Machine universe: hands-on examples?

Just put in my 2c in here...

I spent quite a long time trying to use CoLinux under Condor and it seemed to
work a treat (others have gone down this path). The big advantage was that
the VM could be started from the ordinary non-privileged Condor execute account
(condor-reuse-slot something ???) and so you could start the VM as an
ordinary Condor job - it didn't need to be running all the time as a service.

Unfortunately we moved to 64-bit Windows 7 and the last time I looked, CoLinux
does not support this ( I live in hope).

I tried the same thing with VirtualBox but it would not start as a non-privileged
user - seemed to be trying to write to the registry which is a no no. It would
however start as SYSTEM via a condor_startd cron which may be something to explore.
I got in a total confused mess with VMWare Player but from what I can see this doesn't
seem to want to start as a non-privileged user either.

My worry with having the VM run all the time is that (I assume) you need
to allocate memory to it upfront. No doubt it will get swapped out if a logged in user
comes along but in the past we've had problems with large memory Condor jobs
running at the same time as a local user running a "meaty" application such
as Matlab, ABAQUS, AutoCAD etc. My feeling is that it's best to avoid having the
VM run while users are logged in (and this is particularly the case with our library
machines).

regards,

-ian.

Dr Ian C. Smith,