Re: [Condor-users] help about too many open files/ulimit by condor_starter

On 07/15/2010 07:23 AM, dawnsong wrote:
Dear Condor Experts,

Recently, I always encountered too many open files error when submit jobs to
condor pool, no matter how many I have set nofile in
/etc/security/limits.conf.

The problem here is that your job is run as a child of the condor daemons, which aren't PAM enabled, so the condor daemons don't read /etc/security/limits.conf. A quick hack is to launch the condor_master as a child of a process which is PAM enabled, like the "su" program. So, in your startup script, instead just launching the condor_master, you can run

/bin/su root -c /path/to/condor_master

As init starts the master as root, the su is essentially a no-op, except that it reads the /etc/security.limits file.

-greg