Re: [Condor-users] USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP - shows up in Users list ofactive sessions on Win2k3Svr box?

> Should USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP cause a session to appear?

Yup. You should see a cmd window run that's the condor_starter spawned
by the startd on the logged in desktop. Are you keeping the machine
logged in?

> The job, unfortunately, is hanging.  Most of the way through the
script,
> it launches Excel, which should start up, run a macro, and close
itself.
> (When I RDP into the executing machine and invoke (by hand) the same
> command the job launches, Excel does indeed run the macro and shut
> itself down.

Instead of using RDP have the machine auto-login on boot up and setup a
VNC server on the box and use that to check on it. For auto-login see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

For VNC see:

http://www.realvnc.com/

> So I read up on USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP - looks like the right debug tool
> for my problem.  I add it to the executing machine's startd config, I
> condor_reconfig it, I condor_config_val and confirm that
> USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP is True, and I resubmit my job.

I'm hazy on the details now but I think you need to do a full restart of
the startd to enable USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP. You also need a visible
desktop available to use. We use it with auto-login + VNC and it works
fairly well.

> Problem is, the execute machine runs headless (it's off in a rack a
few
> floors away), and I don't have ready access to hook up a monitor and
see
> what's going on.  What's stranger, I can remote-desktop into the
execute
> machine, but a Ctrl-Alt-End | Users tab only shows my own
remote-desktop
> session on the machine (there's no Condor user running a session with
ID
> 0, nor with any other ID.)

VNC + auto-login. :)

> What should I expect from USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP?

You should see a cmd window appear in your visible desktop when a job
starts. No output in the cmd window, it's just the subshell for the
condor_starter process.

> I was hoping I could use RDP with the /console switch to get a glimpse
> of what was going on, but even if that doesn't work and I need a
> physical console, I'm surprised to see no Condor user with a session,
> which leads me to suspect I don't have USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP working at
> all.

First I'd restart the condor_startd process on the box. Just to be sure.
Maybe it'll work with RDP, but my experience says VNC + auto-login will
be better. RDP just gets in the way with all it's weird Microsofty-ness.

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.