Re: [Condor-users] reserving node for special jobs

> We have a set of compute nodes, all identical in hardware and OS. If I

> want to reserve one or two of these nodes for a special set of jobs,
how
> can Condor help me do that? And how do I launch the special jobs into
> those reserved nodes?

You can't "reserve" nodes but you can specify that some nodes are
available to run only jobs that are tagged in a certain way. Lets say
you submit your special jobs with a custom classad attribute by adding
the following to your submit ticket:

	+MySpecialJob = True

You can make a machine in your pool run *only* these specially tagged
jobs by setting:

	Start = MySpecialJob

in your condor_config.local file on the machine. This machine will sit
idle if you don't have jobs in the system tagged as special. If you
don't want to be that strict you can make this machine prefer special
jobs over not-special jobs and have special jobs preempt not-special
jobs by setting:

	Start = True
	Rank = (MySpecialJob * 10)

in your condor_config.local file. Now that machine will run all jobs but
it *prefers* your special jobs so Condor's preemption mechanism cuts in
a boots off not-special jobs from this machine if there are special jobs
in the queue.

- Ian