[Condor-users] SRB issues with Condor

Dear all,

There seems to be an issue running srb (for file transfer) within the
dynamically created condor account on a Windows execution node.

Due to the (very) large size of the data files we are handling, we
thought it might be more prudent to use srb to stage in data directly
from the user's account to the Windows box running the job, and have it
use srb to move the result data back out again, rather than
double-handling via the condor submission box.

We have tried to script this inside a python script which is sent to the
Windows box. Although the (python) script will run fine and start srb if
started on the Windows box by a normal user, it fails when run under the
dynamic account created by the condor submission. Srb seems to
instantiate itself by copying the user's mdasEnv file to a temporary
session file. However, this session file is created using the process
identifiers of the parent (or the shell). It is not a read/write
permission problem, as the script can read or write to any of the srb
directories. Rather, it is something about the dynamic account
environment that prevents this.

I have tried running as a different user (using the Windows app
'runas'), but this requires interactive input of the new user's
password, which is problematic.

We are now looking at the srb source code to see if there is anything
that can be modified, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be glad to
hear them!

Regards,

Gordon German

Dr Gordon W.H. German     Research Scientist     CSIRO
Computational GeoScience
Division of Exploration & Mining

Australian Resources Research Centre
26 Dick Perry Ave