Re: [Condor-users] Order of selection of machines in condor pool

When there are no preferences at all, Condor gives out matches in no
defined order. (And we'll never put anything by default in, because we
have no idea what's best. Should we prefer fast machines to slow machines?
Should we prefer "dedicated" to "desktop" machines? More RAM versus
less RAM? Too many options...)

Instead, we punted to the user. Check out NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/3_3Configuration.html#SECTION004316000000000000000

It lets you sort the list of machines that a job matches with.

Minor note: the NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK is a higher-priority sort key than the rank specified by the user in the job ClassAd. That means, the user's specification of rank (if any) only gets to break the tie for the top machines selected by NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK. If instead you want the user's rank specification to be primary and the "default" rank to be secondary, then you want to use NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK.

--Dan Bradley