Re: [Condor-users] Changing the queue processing behaviour???

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:45:04 -0800, John Wheez <john@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I was wondering if it is possible to change the behaviour that Condor
> uses when processing jobs.
>
> Right now condor seems to only do one owners job at a time.
> If i submit two jobs. job #2 doesn't start until job #1 is done.
>
> I'd like Condor to be able to allocate 50% of my resources to job #1 and
> 50% of my available resources to job #2.
>
> Is there a way to do that?? or is it planned in the future??

your question is not terribly clear, likey due to:

1) by job you mean cluster
If you submit two clusters each with several jobs (processes in condor
speak) with the same priority then whichever cluster was submitted
first will be dealt with first (in the absence of any other criteria
time of queue entry is used)
You could work round this by setting all odd numbered jobs in one of
the clusters to a lower priority than the next cluster, they would
then be scheduled first.
Two notes on the above - this won't scale to arbitrary numbers since
you have only +-20 priorities to play with and is more and more hassle
as the number of clusters increases.
Alternate if you will only ever have two 'streams' of work is to set
up two schedds (one on one machine one on the other) and submit
alternately.

2) you mean 'My Resources' to be an individual execute machine
if you have a non SMP machine you may still report either a higher
number of virtual machines or higher number of CPU's both of which
will result in multiple jobs running on your machine at the same time.
This should be viewed as dangerous unless you can be sure that all
jobs that may run on your machine will not care greatly about this.
If you are in a shared pool some people might not appreciate their job
running on an overloaded machine. Of course if you are in a controlled
environment where you own both the producers and the consumers then
this is a moot point.

Hope that helps,
Matt