[Condor-users] Question about configuration parsing

I'm confused by how the configuration files work.  Somewhere in the
documentation, there is a mention that macros need to be defined BEFORE
they are used.  This implies that the config files are processed top
down.  This raises some questions:

1) Why are the all the START macros like UWCS_PREEMPTION declared AFTER
they are used in the default the condor_config file?  This implies some
sort of multi-pass interpretation.

2) When is condor_config.local parsed relative to condor_config?  Can I
have an expression like START = MY_START_POLICY in my condor_config file
and then define that macro in my condor_config.local file?

Thanks,

Bryan