Re: [Condor-users] Re: Condor and PATH_MAX

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:50:14 -0600
From: Daniel Forrest <forrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Re: Condor and PATH_MAX
Erik,

> I know it's a problem, but I don't know the exact details.
>
> What's happening is internally, the remote syscall library rewrites
> some of the pathnames to be slightly different URLs - instead of
> opening '/tmp/foo', the syscall library opens things like
> 'remote:/tmp/foo'. The 'remote:' counts against your POSIX_PATH_MAX.
>
> Where the details get sketchy for me is why we don't internally
> allocate something like CONDOR_POSIX_PATH_MAX that is bigger than
> P_P_M, I'll ask around.

If a fix is going to be made, you might want to look at the logic of
using P_P_M in the first place.  If I'm running in the standard
universe where the job and its shadow are running the same OS, why not
just use the PATH_MAX of that OS?

--
Daniel K. Forrest	Laboratory for Molecular and
forrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx	Computational Genomics