[HTCondor-devel] New ld option --build-id stores a hash in the elf header

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 09:14:01 -0500
From: Greg Thain <gthain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-devel] New ld option --build-id stores a hash in the elf header

All:

Spending a relaxing weekend reading through linker documentation, I see that the gnu ld linker now has an option --build-id, which can take a hex string which represents a hash, and store it in the .gnu.notes.property section of the elf header. Newer versions of the "file" command display this hash. I would suggest that all of our builds try to set this to the git source sha, so we can have better tracking of our binaries. The nice thing about this is it isn't in the binary at all, not even in the text segment, so there are fewer "accidentally create a dependency that rebuilds the world" issues.

Do we have the git hash handy when we do the rpm builds?

-greg