[HTCondor-devel] Comprehensive video on Spectre-style vulnerabilities, mitigations, and design solutions

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 08:08:46 -0500
From: Greg Thain <gthain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-devel] Comprehensive video on Spectre-style vulnerabilities, mitigations, and design solutions
All:

This year's cppcon plenary talk concerned the Spectre family of vulnerabilities was given by Google's engineer responsible for responding to spectre, and is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7O3IfIR2k

It is 90 minutes long, but well worth it. The most interesting aspects are how we should change our design and architecture to be less susceptible to these kinds of attacks. In particular:

o) Operating system processes provide protection, we should use them more. (+1 for condor)

o) Private keys are safer on disk than in memory

o) Long-lived keys are evil.

o) Capabilities are better than keys.

-greg