Re: [HTCondor-devel] /etc/os-release

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 18:53:01 +0200
From: Oliver Freyermuth <freyermuth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] /etc/os-release
Hi,

yep, that file is pretty useful. But it's not really written by systemd to my knowledge, but it's rather a "config file" which systemd evaluates -
it's even present on non-systemd systems.

On CentOS, it's part of the CentOS release package:
centos-release-7-5.1804.el7.centos.2.x86_64

I also have that file on Gentoo, which never ever saw anything systemd, here it's shipped by:
sys-apps/baselayout-2.4.1-r2

Hare's the original blog post about it:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/os-release
Many distros have adopted this useful file since then ;-).

Cheers and HTH,
	Oliver