Re: [HTCondor-devel] HTCondor Python Bindings: propose to implement via pybind11 instead of Boost?

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 15:05:06 -0500
From: Greg Thain <gthain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] HTCondor Python Bindings: propose to implement via pybind11 instead of Boost?
On 04/24/2018 02:46 PM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
Hi all,

Currently our increasingly popular HTCondor python bindings are implemented via Boost.Python. Now that all HTCondor supported platforms have C++11-compatible compilers, I propose we consider implementing our bindings via pybind11 [see below for description] instead.

Note that RHEL6 doesn't fully support c++11.

pybind11 needs gcc 4.8 or VC++ 2015. RHEL 6 is gcc 4.4. RHEL 7 is gcc 4.8.

I'm feeling increasing frustrated by the age of the default c++ compilers on RHEL. There are packages for EL that provide modern gcc's that statically link in the c++ libraries, so that they run on stock el6/7s. Perhaps this is a path we should consider, even though it inconveniences our downstream friends?

-greg