[HTCondor-devel] Updating the manual's build process

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 13:50:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Todd L Miller <tlmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-devel] Updating the manual's build process
I've just pushed, to the 8.6 and master branches, a big change to the way we build the manual. Highlights include:

* 'make ref.pdf' now takes < 17 seconds after a 'make clean', and < 15
  seconds to rebuild after changing a file, improvements of 3x and 4x,
  respectively.
* All LaTeX warnings, except for "overfull hbox", have been corrected.
  If you change the manual and get any LaTeX warnings, you need to fix
  them; some of the warnings were indicating fairly substantial problems,
  like an entire duplicate section of the manual.  (The 8.6 manual is
  15 pages shorter than it used to be.)  Check ref.log for 'Warning'.
* For now, we're still using latex2html for the html manual, and it will
  still issue warnings.
* Building the HTML version of the manual is now done with
  'make ref.html'.
* Both ref.* targets now have a full set of dependencies, so you won't
  needlessly rebuild.  In the unlikely event that you add a new .tex file
  to the manual, you'll have to add it to the list at the bottom of the
  new Makefile.
* The symlinks are all gone.  This will cause some files to become
  untracked in git; they're safe to delete.  I've left the old Makefile
  in place as Makefile.old, but will delete it when the 'make release'
  target is ready and I know we won't need it.
* I'll be working with TimT to reimplement the 'make release' target.

- ToddM