[HTCondor-devel] STARTD_SLOT_ATTRS and new ClassAd syntax

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 14:34:01 +0100
From: Joan Piles <jpiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-devel] STARTD_SLOT_ATTRS and new ClassAd syntax
Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any plans to convert the STARTD_SLOT_ATTRS to the new list syntax for p-slots. I mean, if you wanted an attribute "Tag" to be propagated, you would get

ChildTag = { "foo", "bar", "baz" }

If you pair it with STARTD_JOB_ATTRS, it would allow you to make cool things like only allowing one job of a type to run in one machine:

-- startd config --

STARTD_JOB_ATTRS = "Tag"
STARTD_SLOT_ATTRS = "Tag"

--

A user that wants only one of its jobs to run in a machine (for instance, because of network bandwidth issues, or for whatever the reason) could then do something similar to this:

-- job.sub ..

[...]

+Tag = "MyJob"
requirements = !Member("MyJob",ChildTag)

[...]

--

Or, on the contrary, if he wanted to pack its jobs in as few nodes as possible:

-- job2.sub
+Tag = "MyJob2"
rank = 100 * Member("MyJob2",ChildrenTag)
--

Also, it would be nice if the "Member" function returned an integer with the number of occurrences in the list... Thus, a node with four jobs would get a higher rank than one with just one.

Would that be possible?

If it can be sanely implemented and somebody has a pointer to where to start looking, I could even have a try at it.

Best,

Joan

--
Dr. Joan Piles