Re: [HTCondor-devel] HTCondor 8.0 mis-detecting modified time

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:54:18 -0500
From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] HTCondor 8.0 mis-detecting modified time
On 3/10/2014 4:20 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
Hi, friends,

It looks like HTCondor 8.0 may have had a bit of a problem with the
time change over the weekend. One of our customers reported a crash of
their Windows (server 2k3 and 2k8) hosts running 8.0.6. The master log
included this line:

03/09/14 03:06:42 C:\Condor\v8.0/bin/condor_master.exe was modified
(1391288078 != 1391284478), restarting
C:\Condor\v8.0/bin/condor_master.exe Gracefully.

It seems like this should have been a non-issue for a while:
https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=3572 Should I
read "The windows bug no longer exists, so the workaround is now a
bug." to mean that the customer is missing a fairly old patch or is
there still an issue in 8.0?

Hi Ben,

I'll let TJ comment, as he owns and resolved condor-wiki ticket 3572. But it kinda looks to me like it resolves around if the Vs2008 runtime is installed on the machine (in which case the bug is still an issue), or if the Vs2010 runtime is installed on the machine (in which case Microsoft fixed the problem). Seems like TJ in ticket #3572 assumed folks had the Vs2010 runtime installed....

At any rate, if you do not rely on the condor_master automatically restarting HTCondor when it sees new binaries, one potential workaround for all of this is put in your condor_config
  MASTER_NEW_BINARY_RESTART = NEVER

regards,
Todd

p.s. hope to see you at HTCondor Week in ~7 weeks!