Re: [HTCondor-devel] Linux containerization

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:25:45 -0400
From: Matthew Farrellee <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Linux containerization
On 10/17/2013 01:29 PM, Erik Paulson wrote:
C'mon, that's not what he's saying. As HTCondor is going to keep
supporting Windows for a while, there will have to be a working solution
for running Windows jobs. As happy as I'm sure it'd make Redhat, they're
not suggesting forget about Windows.

Thanks Erik. In fact, Red Hat supports Windows execute nodes in MRG.

There are two things to consider:

1. The starter have been factored to be more of a stand-alone tool, and
been used as a tool in other systems like Mesos and OpenStack. HTCondor
went down this path a bit many years ago with the GridShell, but that
work didn't continue. Miron was ahead of his time there, and it's too
bad because Condor could have been well positioned when the rest of the
world realized what they needed.

2. What I think is the bigger issue - if Docker containers become
important, Condor should support them. Maybe it wraps docker, maybe the
starter natively supports decoding docker images and booting them ( see
https://index.docker.io/ for example containers).

Maybe someday Condor jobs automatically get wrapped into docker
containers and much of the Linux starter gets deleted and simply uses
Docker. The HTCondor philosophy is not to chase the shiny technology of
the day, so this isn't a likely development path anytime soon, but I'd
be careful to not make decisions that would rule it out.

Well said.

Best,

matt

-Erik