Re: [HTCondor-devel] Examining in-memory representation of ClassAds

Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:00:58 -0500
From: Greg Thain <gthain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Examining in-memory representation of ClassAds
On 05/28/2013 08:04 AM, Brian Bockelman wrote:
With the in-memory format changes described above, memory usage for the 22MB sample corpus is 29MB.  While the savings aren't as significant as I had hoped (wouldn't it be nice to have the text format be larger than the parsed form?), it's a 77% savings over current with compression and 82% savings over current without compression.

As both the schedd and the shadow really only need to evaluate a small fraction of the expressions in any given ad, one possibility is to build the parse tree only on demand, and keep the unparsed form around otherwise. (We'd still need to be able to validate the textual form, but presumably that's pretty lightweight, compared to building and copying all the expr trees).

-greg