Re: [Condor-devel] dprintf tickets mentioned in the flightworthy meeting

+1 providing better encapsulation of dprintf internals
+1 opening up the ability to add new levels (now called categories?) and (new term) dimensions (aka levels?)

One concern - dprintf is in every critical path condor has. The performance of the new structures need to be benchmarked against the old, and be at least as efficient.

The work should happen on a topic branch, not directly on master.

Most importantly - re the future potential uses -
 What is the motivation?
 What benefit will users have?
How will developers know the proper way to use the new functionality so that it maintains its usefulness to users? The current state of affairs shows we have a questionable track record here.

I'd suggest splitting the ticket into the refactoring work that can be a net gain in all cases and the future work, where questions like those above can be hashed out.

Best,

matt