Re: [Condor-devel] Per machine resource limits in 7.6/7.8

On 5/1/12 4:01 PM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
On 5/1/2012 3:52 PM, Alan De Smet wrote:
I had an interesting chat with a Condor Week attendee who has
some challenges that I'm not sure how to handle.  They have
various limited resources (software licenses) , but the limits
aren't global, they're per machine, so the concurrency limits
aren't a good fit.  Furthermore a job might claim multiple
identical resources at once, in much the same way a single job
might claim multiple cores.

Maybe something like so in the job submit file:

  concurrency_limits = licenseX_$$(Machine), licenseY_$$(Machine)

Actually, the above likely will not work because $$() is not expanded in the matchmaker... but if concurrency_limits is evaluated, perhaps you could do the above idea but via ClassAd string cat functions.

Todd

The job's concurrency limit string is read by the matchmaker before considering any machine, so trying to refer to machine attributes in the concurrency limit string just won't work.

--Dan

Custom resource limits per eje's proposal
(https://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=2905) seem
like a good fit, and he was open to the idea.  However, that's
7.9 territory, and they'd prefer to not use a development
release.

Is there a good solution for 7.6 or 7.8?  All I've got in having
slots START expressions total up usage by other slots and testing
against the limit, which seems clumsy.