Re: [Condor-devel] [classad-users] RFC: an implementation of classads enhanced with macro evaluation

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 09:36 -0500, Alain Roy wrote:

> 1) I really like the fact that we have a definitive ClassAd reference manual that carefully defines the semantics of the language. I think that any extensions, including macros, should be added to the reference manual. Doing this will be useful not only as documentation but will help you ensure that you can unambiguously define how macros work.

I'm willing to poke a flag in the sand and say I think it's a worthwhile
extension to the language.   The question is, who would I need to
convince: who maintains the classad language spec?

> 2) I'm still a bit concerned that macros will be confusing when used outside of the configuration system because it won't be obvious to users when they are parsed.

I think it's not likely to be an issue in the real world anytime soon.
Even if I succeeded in enhancing the official language spec, that has no
direct bearing on whether it gets into condor's implementation.

Unless and until there's an intention to use classads for configuration,
or submit files, or some other function other than the mostly-internal
data representation that they're currently used as, I don't see a very
compelling use case for adding them to condor's existing implementation.