Re: [Condor-devel] Documentation regarding HIGHPORT and LOWPORT

On 06/15/2012 12:49 AM, Ziliang Guo wrote:
While configuring the test submit machines for NEOS, I ran into what
appears to be an error or oversight in the documentation, or a bug in
Condor. In section 3.3.1.2 of the manual where we talk about daemon
specific configuration, where we use DAEMON.KNOB to specify the daemon
the knob is affecting, we use the examples MASTER.HIGHPORT/LOWPORT and
NEGOTIATOR.HIGHPORT/LOWPORT.  When I attempted to do
NEGOTIATOR.HIGHPORT/LOWPORT, the negotiator seemingly ignored the
configuration option as the negotiator bound to something completely
outside my range.  The people I've spoken with theorize that this is
because the master is the one creating ports and handing them to the
children, and since the HIGHPORT/LOWPORT values were negotiator
specific, the master ignored them.  If this is the case, then
DAEMON.HIGHPORT/LOWPORT would seem more appropriate in the section of
nonsensical daemon specific knob examples.

My question basically is, was the intent that the master would honor
the daemon specific HIGHPORT/LOWPORT knobs for each specified daemon?
If so, fine, then we have a bug.  If not, then it's probably a good
idea to edit the manual to not use HIGHPORT/LOWPORT as examples of
valid daemon specific knobs.  Of course it's entirely possible that
this was valid in the past sometime if the daemons were in charge of
creating their own ports to listen on, but I'm finding that the
networking section of the documentation can be very, spotty and
crufty.

Even if it was intended for DAEMON.HIGH/LOWPORT to work, we should accept it doesn't and fix the documentation to use another example.

HIGH/LOWPORT is on the deprecated spectrum. IN/OUT_HIGH/LOWPORT were the replacements, and they should be on the deprecated spectrum now that we have SHARED_PORT.

Please file a doc ticket for this and other spotty/crufty things you ran into.

Best,

matt