Re: [Condor-devel] Soft limits on memory

Brian, did you intercept my mail to Santa?

--Dan

On 1/3/12 9:06 AM, Brian Bockelman wrote:
Hi all,

This ticket might interest some of you:

Basically, it uses cgroups to enable a "soft limit" for memory.  This allows a job to exceed the memory available to the slot (as designated by the MEMORY attribute in the ClassAd), but, under memory pressure, the kernel will only swap out jobs that are over their memory limit.

Example: Suppose, there is 2GB per slot, job 1 uses 3GB, and job 2 uses 1GB.  Then, if the node starts to hit memory pressure, job 1 will see about 1GB of its memory swapped out, while job 2 won't see any swapping.

The patch also allows for a "hard limit" on memory, where the job is sent to swap as soon as it hits the limit.  However, the "soft limit" approach feels to be "more Condor-like", as this would allow better utilization of the available resources.

[Additionally, this (and a follow-up ticket, to-be-filed) will serve to increase the likelihood the cgroup will get cleaned up properly even if the starter segfaults.]

I'm interested in getting feedback on the approach (and guidance in getting it committed) - feel free to subscribe yourself to the ticket if you find it interesting.

Brian