Re: [Condor-devel] Bug in hostname determination on lo-only systems

On 02/23/2012 12:38 PM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
On 2/23/2012 3:07 AM, Michael Hanke wrote:
Hi,

Condor (as of 7.7.4) is unable to determine the hostname (on Linux)
whenever no other network interface than loopback is available. This
leads to FULL_HOSTNAME being undefined and consequently all kinds of
trouble.

I have seen this behavior happening independently from the specific
settings of BIND_ALL_INTERFACES and NETWORK_INTERFACE. Running
`hostname` in a console yields the hostname of course.

Admittedly, this doesn't have much of an impact on any real Condor
machine, but I see it every time I'm practicing policy writing on my
laptop in the train.

In the no-network-but still-wanna-play w/ Condor scenarios, I usually do

NETWORK_INTERFACE = 127.0.0.1

and replace FULL_HOSTNAME with $(IP_ADDRESS).

Hmmm... what do folks think about just replacing FULL_HOSTNAME with
IP_ADDRESS in general in our default config files?

No network config is a pain, not obvious and often OS dependent (iirc, OS X ?Snow Leopard? does resolution differently when only loopback is available).

s/FULL_HOSTNAME/IP_ADDRESS/ is an interesting idea.

$ grep HOSTNAME /etc/condor/condor_config
#LOCAL_DIR		= $(RELEASE_DIR)/hosts/$(HOSTNAME)
CONDOR_ADMIN		= root@$(FULL_HOSTNAME)
##  UID_DOMAIN = $(FULL_HOSTNAME)
UID_DOMAIN		= $(FULL_HOSTNAME)
##  FILESYSTEM_DOMAIN = $(FULL_HOSTNAME)
FILESYSTEM_DOMAIN	= $(FULL_HOSTNAME)
ALLOW_OWNER = $(FULL_HOSTNAME), $(ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR)
ALLOW_WRITE = $(FULL_HOSTNAME), $(IP_ADDRESS)
##  set to your domain, not $(FULL_HOSTNAME), and 2) email to
#EMAIL_DOMAIN = $(FULL_HOSTNAME)
#MACHINE = "$(FULL_HOSTNAME)"
#GRIDFTP_URL_BASE = gsiftp://$(FULL_HOSTNAME)

It would make the default auth easier, maybe already done partially?

How do you think it would work for multi-homed systems?

Tim has pounded head into desk^H^H^H^Hmessed with this stuff a lot.

Best,

matt