[Condor-devel] %s

Following up from the confusing discussion in the meeting today:

The %s format specifier in condor_q and condor_status sometimes evaluates its argument and sometimes does an attribute lookup and displays the unparsed expression. My assertion that the behavior had recently changed is false. I just wasn't expecting it to ever evaluate the expression.

The behavior is what Todd suggested it should be: if the expression can be evaluated to a string, the string is printed; otherwise, if it is an attribute reference, the unparsed value of the attribute is printed.

The new %v attribute, on the other hand, always evaluates. One can get the unparsed value by using the unparse() classad function.

So the real problem I was chasing is that -xml (and -long) provides no way to evaluate an attribute or an arbitrary expression.

--Dan