[Condor-devel] [condor-fw] RFC: convention for advertising SlotTypeID integer from SLOT_TYPE_N

--- Begin Message ---
As part of upcoming RFE:
https://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=2905

I'm planning to also advertise the 'slot type id' on slot ads, which is
defined as:

SlotTypeID = n  # where n corresponds to SLOT_TYPE_n

The proposed convention for dynamic slots is that they will advertise:
SlotTypeID = -n  # my parent p-slot is of type n

One consequence of that scheme is that if anybody ever wished to
directly submit against a particular p-slot type, they would have to do
this:

requirements = (SlotTypeID == 4  ||  SlotTypeID == -4)

The reason is that the requirements have to match both the p-slot and
then the d-slot after it is created.

Currently, I'm of the mind that it ought to be preferred practice to use
slot properties and resources in one's requirements, and let the
negotiation do its job, as opposed to directly requesting slot types
(although I did find submitting to specific slot types useful in
constructing my tests for the new features).