Re: [Condor-devel] Transferring files from/to gsiftp servers with gt4 universe jobs

Patrick Armstrong wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I'm working on using Condor as a Globus 4 MetaScheduler, and I've decided that the only practical way to be able to use Condor to do this is to be able to transfer input files from Globus gridftp sites, and transfer the output files to gridftp sites.

What I want to be able to do is have gsiftp urls in my job classad, and have the globus resource that condor submits the job to stage them itself.

Hi Patrick -

Thank you very much for your interest, your feedback, and your patch!!!!

The idea of allowing the filenames specified in transfer_<input|output>_files to be fully qualified URLs is right in line with our plans/thinking. Great minds think alike!

I have placed your patch into our development tracking system and flagged it for peer review. You can following the goings-on and/or participate by browsing over to :
   http://nmi.cs.wisc.edu/node/1616
[what is NMI you ask? NMI is the facility we use for nightly builds/regression tests... think of it kinda like a sourceforge but with a larger emphasis on extreme programming model of nighty/continuous code builds and regression testing]

Assuming your patch makes it into the Condor code base, would you be willing to sign the Contributors License Agreement (CLA)? Grab it from:
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/licenses/CLA-PUBLIC.pdf
The wording of Condor's CLA is practically identical to the CLA used by Apache. If you've every sent in a patch to any Apache project, they will ask you to sign a nearly identical agreement. The idea is for the intellectual property protection of the project (i.e. keep it open source) and for the protection of the contributors (i.e. you are providing this patch "as is" w/o any warranty, you are not obligated to support it, etc).

Let me know what you think.

Feedback to discuss the idea in general if fine to continue on condor-devel --- feedback that is specific to this patch should prolly be added as comments to the URL http://nmi.cs.wisc.edu/node/1616.

Again, thanks so much Patrick!!! Feedback from the community will always make Condor better from everyone, and actual code patches are some of the best feedback of all!

regards,
Todd

--
Todd Tannenbaum                       University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences